Thursday 24 October 2013

Third Floor: Adventure and Men's Wear

I was a little unsure what to expect going into my first meeting with Rey, the Membership Director at Vancouver's Events and Adventures office. I had looked at the site online, read some of the reviews, had my first phone call, but I was still slightly nervous about the whole procedure.
My meeting was for 2:00 and I arrived at 1:30. I gave myself loads of extra time, just on the off chance the office was hard to find. I nervously paced outside, watching the Vancouver business crowd bob and weave through the tourists. I checked my Facebook, my Twitter and my email. With ten minutes to go I entered the office tower and immediately stepped into a waiting elevator. Tip for anyone visiting the downtown Vancouver location: the first bank of elevators only go to floors ten and above.
I came back down and found the one heading for the lower floors.

Upon entering the E&A office, the first thing you notice is the colour: Yellow, bright and welcoming. This immediately put me at ease. Somehow in my mind I had envisioned a room with reds and white.
The secretary was super nice and lead me to Rey's office a few steps away.
After initial introductions, we sat down and started talking about sports and common interests. We talked about the Vancouver dating scene, awkward moments and the strain of trying to find someone special. We talked about the benefits of meeting new people and the thrill of throwing yourself into new experiences.
I even learned a new word, limerence: the fleeting desire for reciprocated emotional and physical lust. Limerence is often the foundation for relationships that start at the bar or in a chance encounter. The problem with limerence is it's natural tendency to fade over time.
Healthy relationships form from shared interests and common character traits. These preserve the feelings of desire and keep couples together.
It was an interesting chat.
We also looked at the calendar of events and I saw over fifteen activities that really intrigued me, things I would never do alone. And that was that. A quick membership form and I signed up for my first event: The Banana Leaf Festival.
Looking forward to sharing some satays and laughs.

The elevator down was a no-brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment